Friday, August 08, 2008

Whoohoo!

I finally made some real progress with a scene I've been struggling with quite a bit! It's a few sentences from being complete, but they are still milling around upstairs and have no interest in coming down for a nip or a chomp at 1AM. And it really begs a strong close, so I'll let it sit.

I should appreciate these hurdles, but there are times when I've flailed against them for a while and damnit, I just run out of creative ways to curse the text pointer. ;) Nights like these I'd prefer to cut, print, and kill the pig... or the extraneous character, in this case, with apologies to Krusty.

I've been flopping around on AW a little the past few days, critting here and there... I don't write well when my back is stiff. Whining we got. Productivity? Not so much. But critiquing/editing is another part of the craft that I really enjoy. It cheers me up every time, and not just because I'm inherently evil. (But it helps.)

There is something really refreshing about cutting out the brown spots of a story. Especially a really good one- there are always some gems available on AW, although some other forums leave me wanting to drop the red pen and go for the writer's squishy bits. It's not always flawed writing that brings up my foam... more often than not it's writers who don't really believe that their writing is anything less than something exquisite to be savored- when in reality I was clawing the residue off my tongue five pages ago. Worse, the effort that goes into a dedicated crit... the consideration, thought, and time that I would have spent on my WIP otherwise is not well appreciated by that sort. For four paragraphs of assistance I get a bland, "Thanks. Now what about THIS..."

Should have just given 'em the tongue goop bit, yeah?

0 Comments: