I struggled today with the first of many hard-to-write scenes in this WIP. In this case I was trying to portray a child's utter terror at swimming slowly out of a drugged haze, and following his thoughts beginning with having no reason to believe that he isn't in his bed through to realizing that he is (alone?) in a strange, dark place... tied to a cheap chair.
There is some fun pant-wetting and a daddy issue that surfaces nearly the first thing... I love the scene for what it is, but it's a hard thing to write. Not only due to the gravity of the scene- who wants to fluff off something this serious and tragic?- but also to the squick factor. No one likes to see children face mortal terror. Unfortunately it's crucial to the progression of the story.
I am not a child-eater myself. Even my zombies prefer lean meat to fatty children. Can't have a fat zombie, can't runshamble fast enough.
The AlphaSmart 2000 is working beautifully. I'm in love! I discovered pretty early on (thank goodness) that removing the batteries dumps the work... oops. I only lost a little ground. I'd thought that removing the batteries between breaks would keep co-workers out of it. I suppose I'll have to get a lock. I also picked up a PS2 cord for it at Walmart for $15, so I did much better than the ~$20 +shipping that I would have paid on eBay.
I'm moving blogs
16 years ago

0 Comments:
Post a Comment